Mark A. Boyer
Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Director, Environmental Studies Major
Scholar-in-Residence, Center for Environmental Science and Engineering (CESE)
International Relations, Environmental Politics, International Negotiation and Bargaining, International Political Economy
Ph.D. University of Maryland
Office: OAK 412
Phone: (860) 486-3156
Mark A. Boyer is a Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of political science. He holds a B.A. in political science from Wittenberg University and M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in from the University of Maryland. He co-directs the GlobalEd Project, which employs the ICONS simulation as an experimental international studies venue. He is past Editor of International Studies Review (2008-2012) and International Studies Perspectives (2000-2004).
Awards and honors he has received include:
- UConn College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Excellence in Research Award 2013;
- ISA's 2008 Ladd Hollist Award for Service to the Association;
- co-awardee (with Scott W. Brown, UConn, Educational Pschology) of the 2006 UConn Provost's Outreach Award for Research-Based Public Service for their GlobalEd Project collaboration;
- the 2004 UConn Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Graduate Level;
- APSA's 2000 Rowman and Littlefield Award for Innovative Teaching in Political Science;
- the 2001 UConn Chancellor's Information Technology Award.
He was also a 1992-1993 Pew Faculty Fellow in International Affairs and a 1986-88 SSRC-MacArthur Fellow in International Peace and Security. During 1996-1997, he was the Program Co-Chair for annual meetings of the International Studies Association (ISA) held from March 18-22, 1997 in Toronto.
Click HERE to open C.V.(pdf)
- POLS 3412: Global Environmental Politics
- POLS 3410: international political economy
- POLS 3422: international negotiation and bargaining
- POLS 5320: graduate level international conflict and cooperation
- POLS 5325: graduate level international political economy
- POLS 5610: graduate level research design
- Adapting to Climate Change (under contract with the University of Michigan Press).
- Global Politics: Engaging a Complex World (2013) (McGraw-Hill) (co-authored with Natalie Hudson and Michael Butler)
- Defensive Internationalism: Providing Global Public Goods in an Uncertain World (University of Michigan Press, 2005) (co-authored with Davis B. Bobrow).
- International Cooperation and Public Goods: Opportunities for the Western Alliance (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1993).
- International Politics on the World Stage, Brief Edition. (Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996) (co-authored with John Rourke).
- Negotiating a Complex World. (Rowman and Littlefield, 1999, 2004, 2011) (co-authored with Brigid Starkey and Jonathan Wilkenfeld).
- Making American Foreign Policy, 2nd ed. (Brown and Benchmark, 1996) (co-authored with John Rourke and Ralph Carter).
Selected Recent Published Articles
- Mark A. Boyer. (2013) "Global Climate Change and Local Action: Understanding The Connecticut Policy Trajectory," International Studies Perspectives,14(1):79-107.
- Mark A. Boyer. (2012) "Adapting to Climate Change: Mapping Connecticut’s Coastal Responses to a Global Problem," Sea Grant Law and Policy Journal, 5(1):15-40.
- Paula R. Johnson, Mark A. Boyer and Scott W. Brown. (2011) “Vital Interests: Cultivating Global Competence in the International Studies Classroom,” Globalisation, Societies and Education, 9(3-4):503-519.
- Niv-Solomon, Anat, Laura L. Janik, Mark A. Boyer, Natalie B. Hudson, Brian Urlacher, Scott W. Brown, Donalyn Maneggia. (2010). “Evolving Beyond Self-Interest? Some Experimental Findings from Simulated International Negotiations,” Simulation and Games, 42(6): 711-732.
- Boyer, M.A., Urlacher, B., Hudson, N.B., Niv-Solomon, A., Janik, L., Butler, M.J., Brown, S.W., Ioannou, A. (2009) “Gender and Negotiation: Some Experimental Findings from an International Studies Simulation,” International Studies Quarterly, 53:23-47.
- Mark A. Boyer, Scott W. Brown, Michael Butler, Natalie Hudson, Brian Urlacher, Anat Niv-Solomon, Paula Johnson and Clarisse Lima. (2007) “Experimenting with Global Governance: Understanding the Potential for Generational Change,” Globalization, Societies and Education, 5(2):153-180.
- Tara M. Lavallee and Mark A. Boyer. (2006) “Globalization and Local Governance: Implications from Wal-Mart's Expansion,” International Studies Perspectives, 7(3):254-266.
- Mark A. Boyer, Peter Trumbore, and David Fricke. (2006) “Teaching IPE Theory from the Pit: A Simple Classroom Simulation,” International Studies Perspectives, 7(1):67-76.
- Mark A. Boyer, Brown, S. W., Butler, M. J., Florea, N. B., Hernandez, M., Johnson, P. R., Meng, L., & Lima C. (2004). "Educating for global awareness: implications for governance and generational change." Global Change, Peace and Security, 16(1):73-77.